April 27, 2015

I can

aleksandra skorupan, velvet and milk blog, motivation, illustration, chanel boy
Ever since I can remember, my biggest drive was the idea of creating something with my own hands. Being a creative soul, it was usually something artistic, but the creative process itself was the most important thing. Since my early days, I used to draw, write stories and poems, I made furniture and sew for my dolls, in elementary school I made my own magazine, with my articles and illustrations, and so on, and so on. Eventually, photography and blogging became my creative outlet. Until some time ago, when I decided to start working on my illustration skills again, after 4 years (I mentioned that on Instagram).

That moment re-opened certain questions. Browsing through illustrations of many talented people, in order to get inspired, I found myself smitten with the feeling that I could never ever be that good. It was a very familiar feeling, that gave me chills and made me doubt everything I do. And nothing made sense anymore. It was the only thing that always used to hold me back - I was resistant to other people questioning what I do - but the moment I start to doubt my own talent, is the moment I give up.

The problem is - looking at someone's masterpiece, we only see the final result. And that is only the tip of the iceberg. What we don't see is dedication and hard work, persistence, discipline, sacrifices. We automatically assume that one is born with that magnificent talent, and we could never reach that level. Eventually, that discourages us from even trying. And reality is - success is only 10% talent, and 90% hard work and sweat and tears. We have to teach ourselves that great things can't be accomplished in one day and with minimum of work. Whatever you set your mind to, you can achieve, as long as you don't give up when the first obstacle appears.

When I look at my favorite blogger's pictures I think I could never be that good. But the truth is - I made a significant progress since I first started blogging. I'm like ten thousand times better now than I was 4 years ago, so why could I not be even better in the time to come? So I try not to compare myself to anyone, and just improve at my own pace. Somewhere in the future I'll be as good as I want to be, and even better. I have a living example of the endless possibilities of human mind in my own house - my mother who made some radical changes and lost 30 kilos (66 pounds) in less than a year. She became a hardcore healthy eater and started a rigorous workout regime, which is the exact opposite of everything she used to be. She educated herself in everything she needed to know - nutrition facts, exercises, human body and it's processes. With no help, just pure determination! Having her as an example, I'm ashamed at the thought of giving up and saying 'I can't do this'. Because yes I can, I can do whatever I want, I can be whoever I want to be. Human mind has no boundaries, I have no doubts about that. It would be a shame not to use those possibilities to reach your dreams.

I just wanted this to be a little reminder to both you and me - whatever you're passionate about - pursue it! Work on that dream everyday, dedicate yourself to make it come true. Work, work, work! And your dream will become reality!

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."

Love,
A.



4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful illustration! You really are a talented lady. I can completely empathise with you: I'm a creative gal at heart and have always dreamed of making something great. However, I've always felt that either myself or my work is inadequate, never up to the standard I envisioned or the standard set by others.

    I won't lie, it's disheartening to work so hard at something and see someone else do it better without even lifting a finger. Of course, this is not always the case...many work incredibly hard at what they do, undergo hours of practice/training/courses to refine and perfect their technique, and so when they succeed in fashioning a masterpiece, it really is a credit to their perseverance.

    Thank you for this nudge of motivation - exactly what I needed to hear today. Keep doing you, from what I can see so far, you've already accomplished so much to be proud of.

    With love ♥︎ » Paris by Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words! motivating and inspiring people is what I wanted to do with this post, and I'm so happy to hear a response like this :) stay inspired and keep doing your thing! xoxo ♥

      Delete
  2. Beautiful illustration.This is one of my favorite bags!
    http://fabuloustorture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete