May 28, 2015

no signal

aleksandra skorupan, velvet and milk blog, internet abuse, social networks, illustration
Some time ago, I went to a shopping mall with my friend and, as it usually happens, we ended our tour in a restaurant, with coffee and snacks. Now one thing I love to do is watch people and their behavior (not in a stalky way, I promise!), and the first person I noticed was a girl that sat right across me. A teenager, all made up, heels and all, on a date with her boyfriend who was going out of his way to cater to her, bringing her food, holding her chair, and generally being a total cavalier (thumbs up for that fella)! What was wrong with that picture was the fact that the entire time during their meal, she was ignoring him and scrolling through her phone, Facebook or something. It wasn't the first time for me to wonder how on earth can someone find their phone more interesting than a human being (especially the one who took them on a date)? I glanced across the restaurant, and started counting people who had a company but instead socialized with their phones. At 15 I stopped counting because that was more than half... it was just sad.

Let's be honest here, I had more than a few days that consisted of instagram, twitter, facebook, blogger, bloglovin, whatsapp, over and over again. Usually those were procrastinating times, when I tried to avoid studying. However, at the end of the day I would literally feel nauseous from looking at the screen the entire day, and my head felt empty, but not in a good way but rather like some programmed robot. Not fun! Days like that were usually followed by days when I would keep myself away from computer and only pick up my phone if necessary. That's how sick the internet made me feel!

It's scary to think about consequences of modern life and internet abuse. Memory deterioration, loss of social skills, lack of drive and motivation in real life, attention disorder, and so on and so on! These things shouldn't be taken lightly, but usually are!

I know the aforementioned apps along with internet in general are the easiest way to entertain yourself in your leisure time, but that certainly isn't the most fulfilling and most satisfying way! Take it from someone who's brand is closely tied to internet - it is the only market for what I do - but my honest advice to you would be to turn off your wifi from time to time, and have fun in old school way! Let your thoughts flow free, without all those notifications constantly interrupting them. Think, talk, sing, take a walk without phone in your hand! Live in reality! I'll meet you there! <3


12 comments:

  1. U potpunosti se slažem! Ja volim internet i smatram da je nešto najbolje što smo proizveli (za sad :D ) ali treba znati kako ga koristiti. Zaista se plašim kako će ovaj svet izgledati za 10-15 godina kada ova generacija koja je "online" od svog rođenja bude odrasla. Na šta će to ličiti?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slazem se, ali nazalost vecina ljudi internet koristi na potpuno pogresan nacin.. a ove nove generacije, i ja se plasim kako ce izgledati...

      Delete
  2. Amen to this post - I love people-watching too (in the non-creepy way, of course) because it's amazing to think how people don't realise that their lives are passing them by. So many opportunities that are right in front of them that they miss because they're blocked by the view of their screens. I, for one, am guilty of spending way too much time on my phone and laptop than I should, but if I have good company, I never turn to technology because to be quite honest - it's rude. If someone is willing to give up their valuable time to be with you doing any activity, you should give them your all too.

    With love ♥︎ » Paris by Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly, it is very rude! but what is even worse is the fact that people enjoy technology more that human company, that scares the sh*t out of me!

      Delete
  3. I really like the way you write, also I like to read your posts and your blog is just awesome! :D Will definitely come back for more, can't wait for your next post! :) Keep up the great work, I'm a fan!!! ♥

    xoxo Ana

    www.the-secret-life-of-ana-g.blogspot.co.at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by, Ana :) glad you like what I do, it really means a lot! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Iako se slazem sa tvojim genaralnim zakljuckom i kapiram da je cilj pricice s pocetka teksta bio poentiranje, meni se dok sam citala samo vrzmalo po glavi she's just not that into you, kid. :-) zla sam, sta cu, a i ne mogu da zamislim drugi razlog zasto bi necije drustvo i paznju uzimali tako zdravo za gotovo. I kunem se, blenem u mob kao tele samo kad sam sama. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nije da i ja nisam to pomislila, verovatno i jeste tako, bar donekle.. ali stvar je u tome sto je to generalno slika ljudskog ponasanja koju vidim oko sebe, znaci ili se ljudi masovno druze sa ljudima koji ih smaraju, ili je nesto drugo u pitanju... a znamo odgovor :) ovo dvoje su samo dosli kao dobar slikovit primer :)

      Delete